The government of South Sudan has assured Ugandan traders that Nimule Town and the Nimule-Juba highway are safe for business and travels, respectively.
The assurance came following threats of a planned attack on the civilian population by some rebel group which alleged it would target in Nimule town using the Nimule-Juba highway.
According to a statement seen by The City review on Wednesday, Magwi County Commissioner, David Remson, said they had beefed up security on the highway, and that they would treat such threats with serious response.
Uganda’s Amuru Resident District Commissioner, Stephen Latek, said they had engaged with authorities in South Sudan following the warnings but have since been assured of proper security and safety.
“As immediate neighbours, we did not take the warning for granted. Once we got such information, we were in constant communication with our counterparts and they told us the warnings were issued by an isolated group of bandits using social media to cause fear and insecurity,” Latek said.
“They (South Sudan government) have assured us that the route between Elegu and Juba is safe, they have put necessary measures to be able to respond to any actions that may come up and have an impact on travellers,” he added.
The Joint Command Council, a group said to be a new rebel outfit, led by John Aborcup, claimed last week in a viral press statement that they had attacked Nimule town.
“Nimule Town is sieged. This is an alert to the civilians in Nimule that the forces of Joint Command Council (JCC) under the command of John Aborcup Akuer have attacked the military base inside Nimule Town,” JCC said.
JCC also claimed that they had stopped vehicles from moving on the Nimule-Juba highway.
“Any vehicle travelling through Nimule Road, big or small, marked or unmarked, will be considered a camouflaged carrier of military cargo for President Kiir and Riak Machar’s military (sic),” they added.
The UPDF 4th Division spokesman, Maj. Telesphor Turyamumanya, said the army was aware of the threats in Nimule.
“Ugandan’s territorial integrity is protected, our soldiers are alert and the civilians are alert too. We are ready for action against any violation. Our borders are safe and secured. We are not alarmed,” he stated.
“As immediate neighbours, we did not take the warning for granted. Once we got such information, we were in constant communication with our counterparts and they told us the warnings were issued by an isolated group of bandits using social media to cause fear and insecurity.”- Stephen Latek ( Amuru Resident District Commissioner)
The post Nimule-Juba highway safe, South Sudan assures UG traders appeared first on The City Review South Sudan.